Scope of service
The clinical pharmacy coordinates the drug therapy process of oncology patient population through comprehensive pharmaceutical care. This includes: drug selection, drug information, dosing, monitoring, outcome management, patient education/counseling and specialized nutrition support services.
Divisions of the department
1- Inpatient sector
- Ward pharmacist
- Medication regimen review , drug related problems evaluation and outcome monitoring.
- Nutritional services
- Nutritional assessment , enteral and parenteral nutrition calculations and parenteral nutrition compounding.
Therapeutic drug monitoring
- Address, interpret, and communicate relevant pharmacokinetic laboratory values effectively and in a timely manner.
- Patient education
- The pharmacist assures the necessary education is provided to the patient for all prescribed drugs.
2- Outpatient sector
- Medication regimen review , drug related problems evaluation and editing nursing sheet
3-Aseptic Compounding sector
- Aseptic intravenous compounding of all parenteral drugs, chemotherapy and parenteral nutrition in designated biological safety cabinets in highlights of USP (797)
4-Drug information , newsletter and drug formulary (under implementation)
- All Pharmacists provide drug information on request.
- Preparing and distributing the pharmacy Newsletter to all medical staff.
- Preparing drug utilization review (DUR) .
- Developing drug formulary
5-Training and education
- Developing and conducting training performance improvement programs for all clinical pharmacy staff.
- Developing and conducting training performance programs undergraduate and postgraduate pharmacists.
- Improving the quality and safety of the medication use process , review of medication incident reports, adverse drug reactions and competence testing of aseptic admixture process.
7-Computerized pharmacy operations ( future plans )
8-Quality control and clinical research (future plans)
9-Pharmacovigilence (future plans)
Agenda of educational activities (2014)
Pharmacist’s continuous educational program
Level 1 (January-June 2014)
Level 2 (September- December 2014)
Regular scientific activity calendar
Bimonthly scientific meeting
Central Aseptic compounding area
Oncology clinical pharmacy conference